Another crazy Saturday awaited us... we had a house showing at 10:30am, so the boys & I left the house shortly after 10am and headed to the nearest 'McDonald's Playplace' for a late breakfast. We hung out there until noon (avoiding the rain), did a couple errands and then headed to our church carnival at 1pm (thankfully the rain stopped and the sun even shone once in awhile). Here, we participated in games, face painting (the talented mother-daughter team, Raquel and Erin) and the bouncer... while getting balloon creations, candy, hotdogs, drinks and oh - did I mention candy!!!! When we had spent our alotted amount of fun here, we ventured down the street to our little friend Sadie's first birthday party. I wish I had taken a picture of her cakes because they were amazing!!!! One was 'Dora' and the other was a rainbow (the rainbow was cut for the party and the other was left for the family dinner later) I did stamp a card for Sadie but didn't photograph it. Anyways... we departed her party at 5pm and came home to get ready for my friend Lauren's 30th birthday party! (the mom of the bowling party last week - she also has four boys!!!)
So my inspiration colours for Lauren's party came from some lime green & hot pink gerbera daisy napkins and plates that I've have had for eons... it was fun to decorate something girly for a change! I decided to do up a fun cupcake tree and 'borrowed' my sister's decorating idea for the tops. However... I had severe issues and by the time the party was to start these cupcakes were NOT my friends - we actually despised each other! It all started the night before when I made two batches of cupcakes: white and chocolate. I had them on the rack to cool (the boys had all gotten to sample a white one & were told they could have a chocolate one the next day if there were extras). So I left the room for a couple minutes and came back to find ten, out of twenty, chocolate cupcakes with one bite out of the very top! Sigh... I counted up the cupcakes and now had ONE extra one, from the number that I needed for the tree (23). I added colouring to the two containers of icing that I had and set them in the fridge. Fast forward to Saturday: as I'm rushing to get everything ready for the party, I start to ice cupcakes and ruin my one extra because the cupcakes are too warm and the icing is too cold, resulting with my first attempt taking the top right off the cupcake! Jeepers! So I let the icing get to room temp and did my best but what a disaster! So... don't zoom in on my grainy picture of poorly iced cupcakes... they look much better from afar :) The party itself was actually a chocolate-fruit fondue and was yummy! Something I think we should do more often! Everyone brought a different fruit and it made things so easy :) The boys and I even enjoyed the leftovers for breakfast this morning!!!
Cupcake tree - I stamped the toppers with the little items from the new 'Sock Monkey' stamp set - plus a 'Happy Birthday' one from 'Amazing to Zany' and '30' at the top!
The poor cupcakes... you can sort of see the the random 'bites'





1 comment:
Louise, you are too hard on yourself... the cupcakes look GREAT! And what cool party decorations!! I love your last line, "the boys get chocolate cupcakes after all!" Too funny... who was the culprit? Liam?
Post a Comment