So you'd think that one trip to the hospital would be enough for the year, let alone month (Jackson's day surgery on Sept 8th) but nope, we ended up back there last Sunday with Ethan. On Thursday, he had fallen outside probably trying to 4X4 over the rough terrain on his scooter (not motorized - no worries). All was good Friday and Saturday but by Saturday night, he was whining and complaining... after his bath, I applied polysporin and bandaids to his ankle & admitted that it might look infected. Hmmm... by Sunday morning, it even looked a bit swollen & it hurt to walk. We went to our walk as planned and Ethan stayed back with my friend at the kids tent. A couple people who saw it thought I should have it looked at, so I took him to the walk-in-clinic after lunch. While waiting in the treatment room, he asked me, "Mom - how would YOU pee in a cup?!" I asked if he had overheard something in the hallway (another patient) and sure enough he had - so much for being discreet! I assured him that I was quite capable of peeing in a cup! The joys of being the only female in the house eh? Anyways, back on topic, the doctor at the clinic, thought we should go to emergency and have it looked at, just in case it was fractured and the possibility that he should be put on an IV for the infection. Four and a smidge hours later, we were on our way home with no fracture and antibiotics. The doctor there, drew a sharpie marker line around his wound and said "if the redness spreads outside of this, come back in ASAP!" Needless to say, we were back again on Mondy night & he was admitted for two nights, with an IV.
Sunday afternoon in emerg - I don't recommend a trip to the ER with this tattoo on your forehead! A great crowdbreaker though :)

Road Rash gone bad!

Ankle comparisons... see how swollen it was...

Sunday: Finally out of the waiting room - let's get this show on the road

Trip to the ER take two... Monday night - they're admitting him & he has the gown on to prove it!

Sharpie marker line - the redness had spread to the base of his toes

IV is in... he apparently inherited his mother's not so great veins (we aren't so popular when it comes to bloodwork and IV's)

All snuggled in for night one in room #502 ! The rooms were all singles and there was a built in corner bed for the parents - I'm still catching up on lost sleep, but all in all, it was a pretty great set-up! I'd spend the night and then leave at 7am to get Jackson off to school. Miles and I tryed to juggle our visiting times in the morning and then I'd go back up again in the afternoon, staying until bedtime. Miles would stay for a bit in the evening, I'd take the boys home to bed and then head back up later to spend the night. Quite an exhausting juggling act and my heart goes out to parents who have to do long term hospital stays... for the hours we couldn't be there, Ethan was sooo good & the nurses constantly commented on what a great kid he is! Of course we agree but being that we have three other munchkins, it sure helped that Ethan didn't mind us leaving for a couple hours at a time!

Ethan wasn't allowed out of his room & got to watch movies ALL day long! Here he is with his visitors, also thrilled to be watching movies! A hospital teacher did come by to see him both days and worked on spelling, math and reading, so it wasn't a total 'holiday'

Daddy visits...

Farewell Children's Ward... thanks for all the great care! Ethan was discharged on Wednesday night and is doing GREAT! The ward kind of has a 'castle' theme, including a draw bridge entrance, with bright primary colours everywhere - very kid friendly :)
3 comments:
Oh Louise ... what a write up and
the pictures...Yes the pirate scar
looked gastly...I can imagine it
would draw some stares...what timing eh?...and the gown with
the red stripes
...that cracked me up...poor
guy...but that "pee in a cup"
comment...Ethan doesn't miss a thing and I'll bet he kept the
staff busy with his constant
questions...g&p
What an adventure, Lou! We're glad that Ethan is feeling better. We are killing ourselves with his pee comment - are you writing a book, because these are excellent!!
Totally loving the "pee in a cup" part, too!! After having 4 kids, you could be called an expert at that task!!! And the veins - yep, I've got those bad ones, too! Even had an anesthesiologist stumped in my last c-section... apparently he "never misses" with the IV well... he missed on me! I even had one lab tech tell my vein, "you can run, but you can't hide" as she proceeded to stab my poor arm.
So glad Ethan is doing well now - what a trooper! And this was a great way to document it. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment