Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A weekend away...

This past May long weekend, we loaded up and headed to Calgary and area... we didn't leave home until shortly after 5pm on Thursday eve and got to Calgary around 1 am. We had booked a hotel and had specifically requested that the crib be set up BEFORE we got there, due to the late arrival, but of course it wasn't! Liam took this time to tuck himself into our bed and pulled out all of his "clown" tricks! He was quite the little ham while travelling too and loved to torment Jackson every time he fell asleep (he would pull his hair or hold his hand etc and of course thought he was hilarious)! On Friday we did a 45 minute run through the Chinook Centre and then had lunch with friends, Scott & Katie at Earl's. It was good to see them & was our first time meeting Katie in person. From here, we headed to the Calgary Zoo and met up with our friend Rania, who spoiled the boys with JellyBellies, monkeys and clothes!!! And to show what a small world it is, her landlords in Calgary are people that Miles knows from his hometown!!! We had supper together at Boston Pizza (Olive Garden had over an hour wait - boohoo!) and then headed to Cochrane for the rest of the weekend...

We had a great visit in Cochrane with friends, Jason & Maria (a high school friend of mine) and went to a Children's Festival, Calaway Park and the guys also had a round of golf! The weather was a little on the chilly side and rained off & on but we managed to have fun regardless! On Sunday morning, we went to church with them since their daughter's class was singing and once again, Miles had graduated from high school with one of the pastors!

We left Cochrane on Monday am with snow coming down!!! Very crazy for May 21st but I do remember having snow on May 22, 2002 - my first spring on the prairies! The crummy weather has now reached us today and we too have had some wet snow mixed in the downpour! Anyways, we headed to see Miles' grandma in her nursing home on our way home (and helped her with supper) and then spent the night with his aunt and uncle who are always fun to visit.

On the drive between the nursing home and the farm, the roads were insanely muddy from all the rain and the drive that should have taken us 15-20 mins took about 40 mins. Also we have a recall on the traction control in our vehicle, so that was REALLY messing things up because the engine kept cutting out! Miles put it into 4 wheel drive but we still slipped & slided like we were on sheer ice... apparently traction control doesn't work in mud anyways & dear hubby didn't realize that he could have turned it off (which would have only kept the engine from cutting out)... needless to say I was relieved to get to our destination!!! What a mess of mud!

To see more pictures from our journey, check out my travel blog: From the Prairies and Beyond and for those on facebook, I've added an "album" there too!

Visiting with Miles' Grandma

My view from the truck window!!!! Mud, mud and more mud!

Liam pulling Jackson's hair, while he sleeps!

Ethan & Jackson on the ride home....



At Boston Pizza, there was a balloon man who made this amazing ELMO!!!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

sounds like a fun time! glad you could get away.

Sarah said...

what's with all your pictures on your other blog? Some of them say they've been moved, that they can't be activated.... weird. Is there a time limit on how long a slide show can stay on your blog?? I think mine keep working long after I load them in.....

Sarah said...

now they work... sorry for posting 3 comments!

Louise said...

I was still working on adding everything... you need to be PATIENT!!!!

Sandi said...

Cool Elmo Baloon. I bet Bree Jones would just love to have it. Sounds like a busy trip and crazy weather. Finally WE are getting the sunshine in Willy's Puddle!

Grammie said...

Great posting of your trip. Enjoyed it.

Amy said...

OMG! I love the Elmo balloon. Elmo is my FAVORITE!

Sounds like a great trip. This post made me want to go back. I used to live in Canmore, so I'm very familiar with the area. I visited the Calgary Zoo many times. I used to love going there.

Sarah said...

cute Elmo balloon!! That's a new picture since I was on earlier today... yes, I know I need to be more patient. Sorry.