Saturday, March 1, 2008

hers + mine = nine

Do any of you watch the show on TLC called 'Jon and Kate Plus Eight'? About a couple that has two six-year-olds AND six two-year-olds! It is quite humourous to see them interact as a couple with the responsibilities of that many little kids & to 'go' on various adventures with them! Very entertaining, not to mention chaotic at times! Anyways, when we have a crazy day I tell Miles that 'it could be worse'....

Yesterday morning I headed off to Mom's Group at the church with five little boys in tow. Ethan had three days off school, so he was with us for a change and I'm also temporarily babysitting a little guy that is Liam's age. Those that follow my 'Liam stories' probably think that I am absolutely insane to take on another little person! Somedays I think that myself, but it's going not too bad but we have had our moments... where all of my photo albums were removed from the cupboard & opened... pages scattered about! I was sooo not impressed! Anyways, on with my day: after mom's group we did the DQ drive thru and headed over to my friend, Lauren's house. Lauren also has four little boys of her own, including a set of two year old twins! Between the two of us, we had NINE little boys: one 6 yr old, two 4 yr olds, four 2 yr olds, a 5 month old and a 4 month old! Ethan, Jake, Jackson, Liam, Karsen, Seth, Cale, Jude & Cole - just thought I'd put some names out there incase anyone is preggo and in need of some good boy names!! Well the day was great, despite having to break up a squabble here and there, the noise level got a little high, the toys got dumped, they dragged each other around on blankets, there were potty training attempts, diaper changes, juice spilled, a movie, sticker art and the day went on.... but like I said, it was a great day because I spent it with my friend. Someone who can relate to me, knows me and loves me just the same!

So, on that note, I thought I'd do a little tribute to my girlfriends & sisters..... there are the ones that went to church and camp with me in my younger years. The ones that stayed up late & dreamed with me about the years yet to come... husbands, kids, white picket fences and what we wanted to be when we grew up! The ones that were there through high school and got me through studying, exams, graduation - we watched sappy movies & shed tears together, we drank tea together! The one(s) that planned trips with me - some I've taken and others I'm still planning (PEI)! The ones that stood beside me & supported me as I planned my wedding and took a new step in my life... these friends still have a HUGE piece of my heart, even though an incredible distance separates us! I miss you! I cherish the times and visits that we do still have together, even though they are short and sweet!
Then, there are the ones that have become my friends after I've been married or even after I've become a mom. These friends have journeyed through pregnancies with me, shared birthing stories with me, watched my kids for me while I run out to an appointment, they've crafted with me, they've kept me sane & we even go out for dinner once in awhile (adult conversation but of course we still talk about our kids!), we do 'play dates', we phone each other and share our days, we encourage each other - we are all different, went to different camps, churches and high schools but we're together now, learning from each other as we go, sharing frustrations and appreciating the common denominator of our precious little families! These friends I have come to love and appreciate & I look forward to the future of our new-found friendships & all that we have yet to learn about each other! I look at all the friendships I have gained in my soon-to-be 35 years of life and realize how richly blessed I am!

8 comments:

the OAK tree said...

Oh Louise I miss you so much...thank you for your love and great friendship. I would not have made it this far with out you. I love you. Dayna

the OAK tree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie and Scott said...

What a great post, Lou! Heart felt and sincere -- two great qualities you possess. Katie and I were reading it and she asked, "do you fit into the girlfriends section too?" I joked and said I thought I fit in some of the shedding tears part ; ) But whereever we fit in - we're glad to be part of your world for these many, many years! S.

Suzette said...

Lou . . . you are an incredible friend and I am honoured to be one of yours! My life has been so enriched by having you in it!! Love and miss you always! xo

Rachel H. said...

Lou - that was a great, touching post. I feel privileged to have been one of your 'tea friends' and 'planning wedding' friends and 'trip friends' - at least if you count my trips up to P.T !!! ha ha
luv u always

Sarah said...

Great post Louise.... you made me cry. Wish you lived closer, then we could post about 6 boys and a girl :)

Grammie said...

Oh Louise that was nice...I have
shared some nice trips with you, my little "rumpe troll"

Happy 9th anniversary and Happy
Birthday Too.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to girlfriends! And nine children!!! Oh my!!! LOL... ok, I admit that even I would be a little daunted by nine children so young! I did have five aged five and under at one time, though! I LOVE having teens!!!

I have posted my URL so that you can see what a neglectful blogger I am... I used to be better with my last blog... maybe I will get better again now that things have stabilized a bit!