Friday, May 28, 2010

news flash...

One week after our initial plumber call, we were still thinking that there was a blockage somewhere - called him back & when he asked me to check out a couple things in the basement first, this is what I found! Argh!
more back up...

... and it leaked over to here (toilet is just being stored there)

TA-DA... problem solved, rocks vacuumed out & the hole is temporarily covered! None of this is covered by insurance but at least our hotel bill is :) Oh - and in true family style, we were sure to give the neighbours a show... not only do we have a sewer truck in our yard, they set off the alarm (which we though didn't work) when they brought their hoses through the basement window! So while the alarm company was trying to call me, I was outside watching the festivities with the boys & just about flipped when the RCMP showed up! Never a dull moment!

So the latest update on my basement saga is that our sewer backup was NOT a result of my toddler flushing unmentionable items down the toilet. Being that we are in a new subdivision, for some DUMB reason they leave PVC pipes sticking up in the middle of the driveway, until the driveways are poured and capped off properly. Our pipe was accidently knocked off & we were led to believe that it was just the water shut off (we just had one pipe and most homes have two, so no clue where our water shut off is now - need to find out). Anyways it was a sewer pipe and as the snow thawed and all the wind and rain of spring was upon us, the pipe filled up with our little temporary driveway rocks and our system is PLUGGED! I am currently awaiting a sewer vaccuum company that will be here right after lunch. Hopefully they can resolve our issue, otherwise we will be looking at a major excavation of our driveway to cut out/replace the pipe etc. Argh!

We spent last night at the Days Inn, where we stayed for three weeks over Christmas/New Years 2008-2009, while waiting to get into our new house. The boys exclaimed that they remembered 'these hallways' and we even got our former room back! Just like we were 'home' again! We spent a late night @ the pool, enjoyed the continental breakfast & got the boys to school a bit late (school was notified) and now I'm at home waiting...

Today I told the kids that they couldn't flush ANYTHING or run the water so it might be the only day ever that I was thrilled to hear Liam say, "Mom - I didn't flush & I didn't wash my hands!!!" Looks like his party this weekend will have to be postponed too...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness!!!! I'm so sorry this is happening to you... hopefully you will get to relax soon.

And all along, poor little innocent Coley was being blamed! Poor little guy... you better buy him an ice cream to apologize!

What a drag. Seriously, you better start writing your book, because it will be a best seller :) Glad you are home, and I hope you have a few boring days in the mix over the next few weeks to make up for all this action!

The party goers will totally understand about the party being postponed, and I don't think they would want to come over with your bathtub looking like that, anyway!

Anonymous said...

Your another Erma Bombeck...
You know..."grass is always
greener over the septic tank"
Oh what a mess to contend with
g