Tuesday, May 6, 2008

There's a hole in the carpet, dear Liam, dear Liam...

While doing some card making last week, I made the mistake of leaving my embossing gun (heat tool) out and plugged in to boot! I ALWAYS make sure that it's unplugged and out of site because I don't want curious kiddies to burn themselves... unfortunately I went to bed on Wednesday night without doing any of this! So... first thing Thursday morning while Miles was in the shower & I was still upstairs, Liam burnt a hole in the carpet. Needless to say, it was NOT a happy morning in our household that day! It was right at the bottom of the stairs, outside the bathroom door and could not be any more centred and OBVIOUS! Just what we need when we want to put our house for sale in about three weeks. We thought we were going to have to replace the entire room. Miles checked into insurance and found out that our deductible was going to be $1,000 because we had a break-in a few years ago - so, not worth it! Hmmmm.... I phoned the flooring/furniture place that took over the company that we originally got our carpet from four years ago and was told that they would come out the NEXT morning and patch it for me! So it's patched & I got the bill today for $52.50! What kind of service & price is that? AMAZING! I'm extremely pleased with the repair job and once we clean the rest of the carpet, it should blend in OK!(all the more reason to keep extra carpet on hand!) The main thing is that unless you know it's there & actually look for it... you don't notice it! When I asked Liam much later in the day what happened, he said, "it's a hole! it's a hole!" I told him, "it's a BAD hole - what happened?" (hoping that he might feel a little bit remorseful) and he then told me, "too hot! it's too hot!" How he didn't burn himself or start a fire is beyond me but I'm VERY thankful that it wasn't worse!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

5 comments:

Ara said...

Oh my goodness! Thank God it didn't start the place on fire! We have a spot the shape of a clothes iron in the girls room downstairs, i didn't think to call and have the repair it! hmmmm...our carpet in the basement is 10yr old, i can't even remember where we got it.

Louise said...

As long as you have a chunk of it leftover somewhere... it might be possible!

Grammie said...

You need to give the carpet company
some free advertizing for good service like that.

Katie and Scott said...

Wow - amazing job and like your mom said that kinda service is no where to be found these days! Glad he didn't burn himself!

Anonymous said...

Years ago I had a boyfriend who burned a spot on my carpet in a rental with my iron. Since it wasn't too deep I was able to scrape off the burned parts with a razor. I carefully scraped off a bit of the surrounding carpet to make a more even slope of the carpet. Worked like a charm.